Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Adolescent Rat won't drink on her own.?

I just adopted a 10 week old female a couple days ago. I am trying to determine if her behavior is related to the stress of the move, or if she may be sick.


She won't drink from her bottle, or from a low dish but she will "drink" from the palm of my hand if I mix a small amount of sugar into the water.


She won't touch standard pellet food, but will eat banana's, carrots, and other fresh fruits and vegetables if I hand feed her in extremely small portions.


She seems to have very little energy. She spends most of her time sleeping and when she is "active" she moves rather slowly (as if not sure of her footing).


She has an occasional sneezing fit (which I relate to a change in surroundings), but she does not have any crusties or dripping around her eyes or nose and she'll even brux while I pet her.


Is she sick? Do I need to take her to the vet?

My Adolescent Rat won't drink on her own.?
For the benefit of both of you, its not worth the risk, to me though it looks like there is a problem.





Rats always eat, the move never stresses a rat too much to my experience, the extra sleeping is probably due to extreme exhaustion caused by whatever is wrong, make sure you make note of everything so the vet will be able to analyse the problem quicker..





By the way, by the additional details it seems like she is suffering from some sort of airbourne sickness. So it will more than likely be treatable.





Hope the best for your rat :\
Reply:You should bring it to the veterinarian


No comments:

Post a Comment